Tuesday, November 02, 2010

get thee to GRAPESEED in Bethesda for softshells and more...(8-8-10)

As Will & Sam are off visiting family in the UK, I decided to partake
of Bethesda Restaurant week last Sunday at GRAPESEED
(www.grapeseedbistro.com) and I had one of the best meals in ages, not
to mention the superb ambiance and great service.
Grapeseed has a huge selections of wines by the glass and they are
mostly novel and exciting. I started with a Domaine de BAUMARD
Savenierres 2006 Chenin Blanc that had a superb finish and was most
refreshing in the decent warm temperature weather we had over the
weekend. As soon as it hits 90, I seem to go to ice cold white and dry
or rose! Chef Jeffrey Heinemen sent out a divine bruschetta like
preparation using lardo with Sweet 100 Tomatoes (from his garden) and
caperberries.
A BEET SALAD with warm GOAT Cheese, Pistachios and a tasty Tarragon
Vinaigrette was a perfect choice as a smaller salad starter.
I moved on to The PINES 1852 Pinot Gris from Columbia Gorge in
Washington which had an intense citrus flavor. I really wanted the
FRIED CHICKEN LIVERS, but Chef Jeff sent out one small portion of that
as a soft creamy treat on crostini with Pepper Jelly!

A Broglia Gavi de Gavi 2008 Lameirana from Piemonte had long legs and
a slight perfume and went hand in hand with the chef's appetizer
recommendation of Sauteed CALAMARI, Parsley & Garlic. I was so happy
to have this delightful simple dish which was tender and cooked to
perfection!

I had chosen Grapeseed for several reasons: I had not been in some
time, Bethesda restaurant Week, but most importantly the soft shells
were on the menu. I remembered the past preparations of this dish so
well and the new one is even better: CRISPY Soft Shell CRABS with
CREOLE TOMATO Sauce, Dirty Rice and Remoulade packed a slight spice
and every bite was a busting mouthful of flavors. The fresh home grown
garden tomatoes throughout the meal were great and really made an
impression in this sauce!
While the menu gives wine choices for each dish, the soft shells had a
St. Clair Sauvignon Blanc that I know well and Chef recommended I try
the Domaine ZIND HUMBRECHT 2008 Gewurtzrtraminer from Alsace which I
did and the peppery wine with its slightly sweet finish was the
perfect foil to the spice in the rice.

Dessert was ideal and light with Shenandoah Valley BLUEBERRIES with a
Limoncello & Black Pepper sabayon and Lavender Shortbread. Need I say
more? It was idea with a glass of Gabriel Meffre LAURUS Muscat Beaumes
de Venise.
One can't leave Grapeseed without mentioning the wonderful crusty
fresh bread, but even more so the accompanying oil with tomato and
garlic to dip it in! Impossible to resist!