Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Beverly Hill's MONTAGE Hotel Conservatory is cool and quiet (10-10-10

For our last night in LA we were simply exhausted after a long hot day
at Universal Studios and opted to dine in the hotel at the rooftop
CONSERVATORY at the MONTAGE Beverly Hills. It was a good choice if a
bit pricey. Samuel had spotted a kid's menu with ravioli and he was
hooked. They were simple with cheese in butter and parmesan and
excellently home made for under $10.
There ambiance is ideal with views of the hills, a fireplace (in the
70 degree heat, it burns all day even when it's 85 degrees) and an
very Italian feel with wrought iron furniture.
We started with a bottle of Marsanne from KRUPP Brothers Stagecoach
2007 that was an amazing quality wine with oak, creaminess and a huge
finish. With all the servers they had, I was surprised that I had to
pour the wine several times myself.
Will had the excellent CEVICHE (halibut, shrimp and calamari) with
avocado, mango & chili served with yummy crunchy tortilla chips. I had
the I can't believe it cost $35 Restaurant Week 3-course special with
each course so huge I was floored.
CALAMARI & Salted Cashews were about eight huge pieces of squid
breaded and fried and served over a spicy teriyaki sauce with hon-
shimeji mushrooms. It was delish, but the sauce was a bit too
teriyaki.
My main was three huge Pulled Pork SLIDERS with Provolone and House
made slaw. On the side was the option of fries or salad and I chose
the latter with a white balsamic vinaigrette. I chose a glass of Anoro
MALBEC from Mendoza Argentina 2008 that was note real great.
Will had the HALIBUT TACOS that he raved over with Cotija Cheese, Lime
Slaw, Avocado Salsa, Black Beans (and more tortilla chips!).
We split my BERRY PIE on the special which was okay and Sam loved his
MANGO LIME SORBET.
We hit the sack before 10pm again for the third night in a row knowing
we had a long trip home on Monday.