Sunday, April 08, 2007

a top notch bistro steak tartare at CAFE UN DEUX TROIS (NYC)

My last stop on the weekend was at brunch in the Times Square Theater district and it was oddly quite quiet and deserted for a Sunday at 1PM (I guess it was the combined Easter, Passover,school break holiday?). I arrived early at CAFE UN DEUX TROIS, a traditional as it gets French Bistro located at 123 West 44th Street and sat at the bar with my new wireless attachment for my laptop and ordered a BLOODY MARY. It was a decent one, if a bit small, but needed a bit of spice. I noticed the maitre d' sipping several different tomato juice concoctions at the end of the deserted bar and asked the bartender if they were modifying the Bloody Marys. The maitre d' said that since it was Easter, the bartender was a replacement and that this one usually works weekdays and has a better knowledge of martinis, rather than brunch drinks; and he doesn't drink tomato juice, so he can't taste test the Bloody Marys. I mentioned that mine was nice, but needed more of a kick and was treated to three or four more tastes of different mixtures before joining my guest who had arrived. Incidentally, I preferred the one with a dash more tabasco and the addition of celery salt!

I could not resist ordering the STEAK TARTARE with Fries which was a wonderful and slightly peppery tartare that I just wolfed down. The fries were okay, but win no prizes for sure. Cafe Un Deux Trois is an adorable spot, with friendly service and offers a wide variety on the menu for those headed to or from the theater...so remember it in your NY travels.