Sunday, March 26, 2006

Here's where the ladies do brunch (Azucar in NY City)

You all know I have raved for years about my little Italian spot TERRA in New York City. Just less than a year ago TERRA became AZUCAR and went Cuban. Last weekend, while in New York, I returned there (939 Eighth Ave @56th St; www.azucarnyc.com) for Sunday brunch and couldn't believe my eyes. When I got there at about 1230pm, the place was about 20% full, in 10 minutes it was heaving, and I was only one man out of four (other than the waiters) in the entire place. I thought it had to be pre-theater ladies groups or something, but it turned out there is a weekly nutrition meeting in the area, and these nutrition freaks think its the best and healthiest food around. How's that for a recommendation?

There is a brunch menu loaded with egg options and other Cuban brunch specialties, and the regular menu also has lots of options from tapas to sandwiches to entrees. I started with my old favorite, the Salad of PALMA REAL, heaps of artichoke hearts, avocado and parmesan in a luscious mixture with a light vinaigrette. Don't miss the refreshingly addictive WHITE SANGRIA made with apples and oranges that have soaked up the yummy wine and made it perfectly tart.

My entree was the POLLO GAUJIRA which was a huge breast of chicken with red & green peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and the must wonderful plantains coated with melted manchego cheese. It was more than I could handle that early in the day, but I persevered. Don't forget that every entree comes with a big bowl of rice and those yummy black beans.

Dessert was simply out of the question, and as I wandered to the theater, all the ladies headed back hurriedly to their meetings!