Sunday, February 26, 2006

dining in DOWNTOWN NY -PASTIS and GUDTFOOD

I rarely have the opportunity to head below 14th Street in Manhattan, unless I'm destined for the James Beard House (or some exquisite place like NOBU or Danube), so it was a treat for me to spend Friday night at a hotel on the lower west side in the "Meatpacking" District just below Chealsea. I wandered across the street for an early supper at PASTIS (Little West 12th Street & Ninth Ave) and while the din of the happy hour crowd was a bit too high, I got a banquette in the rear and settled in for some fine bistro food. It was crowded, the tables are small and the feel is indeed very French with a yellowed tin cieling, bistro white brick walls and the bar loaded with RICARD bottles.

I started with the best STEAK TARTARE I have ever had in New York. It was peppery with loads of fresh onion, a small quality baby greens salad and a lot of love. The ALSACE BLEND SEPT GRAINS 2002 BARMES-BEUCHER white blend I chose was a perfect foil to the pepper in the dish. After I ordered my entree I was livid when I saw the magnificent burger and frites at the next table, and then the crunchy fish and chips another table down. My LINGUINI with COCKLES and GARLIC was tasty and nice with juicy clams, but I just felt that I had missed something else better. I tried the ILES FLOTTANTES for dessert and it was beautifully served with spun sugar on top and sliced blanched almonds. A real treat after the PINA COLADA version I had not been fond of the night before.

The next day I wanted to try something different and quick for lunch and headed up to the highly rated F&B Gudtfood at 269 W 23rd Street In Chelsea. Regarded as one of the top places for hot dogs, I was very disappointed. My CHAMPION DOG was a veal and pork bratwurst served with German sauerkraut and mustard. The wurst was nice, but nothing special,only the kraut and mustard excelled. The fries were good, but long and skinny and nothing compared to a true Belgian frite. Oh, the lemonade was good.

Well, so much for a quick trip to NY, and enjoy!

Phyllis on the road again