Saturday, August 22, 2009

London's ARBUTUS is our new West End choice

My first meal in London was in the theatre district/Soho at ARBUTUS where chef Anthony Demetre has introduced exciting modern bistro fare as well as some heavier dishes. At lunch there is a 15.50pounds (Just over $25, which includes tax but has an optional 12.5% tip atop) fixed price 3-course meal, but I felt that was a bit too much for me as I had a big dinner coming tonight. I opted for two starters and they were both superbly exquisite.

A SCOTTISH ANGUS BEEF TARTARE was one of the best ever (due to the excellent quality of the deep red, almost beet colored, meat) with a raw egg yolk atop and some olive oil and paprika scattered around. Capers were mixed in for flavor and the seasoning on the meat was just right that nothing was needed, condiment or such. My second starter was one of the "new bistro" items and was novel indeed: SQUID & MACKEREL "BURGER" was just that and somewhat of a "fish cake" and served in a light broth-lke sauce with RAZOR CLAMS, Parsley Puree, Baby Cress and Purple Basil. It was simple, yet divine and tasty. Wines by the glass are found here, but the deals are in the wines offered by the carafe of 250ml, or 1/3 of a bottle. The prices are reasonable (for the UK) and the wines varied on the list. I chose a JOSE PARIENTE VERDEJO from Rueda (Spain) that was akin to a Sauvingon Blanc in that it was very citrusy wiyh a huge gooseberry nose.

The decor at ARBUTUS is simple and nothing to write about with the tables a bit close, but I had a window table and there was nobody in the table next to me. If you need to use the loo, you do have to descend a steep staircase (London is awful for the handicapped), but I loved the Dyson hi speed hand dryer as the air comes out quick and cooler so as not to damage your hands. The service is friendly and the place is reasonably quiet, another hard find in this busy noisy, way too trendy area.

Tonite--I hit my two Michelin stars at LE GAVROCHE where I have yearned to go for years...hope it's worth it!