Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'll eat my hat at WIMPY's in Sougth Africa

As you all know I almost NEVER eat fast food, and for years have frowned upon most of it. I always assumed the European WIMPY's chain was just as bad and now have got to eat my hat, at least for their South African product.

We were taking a long drive today and didn't have time to "dine" so we stopped in Riversdal at the roadside WIMPY's. Upon the suggestion of our fearless leader Jenny, who has invited me on this trip, I ordered the 1/2 roasted CHICKEN with PAW-PAW and CHIPS. The chips (that's FRIES folks) were not so great, but the chicken was tasty and the paw-paw, a spicy Portuguese BBQ-like sauce was loaded with chilies (which Jenny says it should not have) and was a big hit at our table. The WIMPY's brand ketchup was indeed wimpy and ran to a loose watery texture, so I tried the chips wirth the paw-paw sauce and it was a great improvement despite their very boring whiteness. The creme soda was quite good but an odd tinge of bright green (think Chartreuse liquor).

Anyway, it was fun for us all and we are now at the PHANTOM FOREST ECO LODGE in treetop dwellings and will soon dine at the FOREST BOMA where we understand the vervets (tiny monkeys) often visit for dinner!