Sunday, January 06, 2008

Cafe Un Deux Trois - Tasty but tripping; super soup at HALE & HEARTY

Yesterday I grabbed lunch at one of my favorite Times Square spots, Cafe Un Deux Trois (123 W 44th St) and as always had a pretty good meal.

Upon sitting down, I had to motion several times for my server to come over and take my order; he apparently thought I was waiting for someone else to join me (even though the chair opposite had my briefcase and coat piled on it).

I chose the tasty ONION SOUP GRATINEE which came oozing with cheese on top and needed only a dash of salt and pepper. I moved on to one of their better dishes the STEAK TARTARE and FRITES and this time decided to try the house mustard on my frites; it was heavenly. It was a sort of English-Chinese spicy yellow mustard and I asked the server what brand it was, but he never did get back to me.

I enjoyed a glass of BROUILLY Les Saburins 2005 from Louis Latour and both Brouilly and Beaujolais were misspelled on the menu (I guess they don't have an French employees who proofread).

When I asked for coffee and a refill on my water, I got the coffee, but with no sugar and had to ask for that and again for the water. As this was occuring, a small hubbub was brewing with four ladies at the next table. I saw one of them show their waiter a small plastic object that had been imbedded in her bread; it was about 1-1/2 inches long. He apologized and walked away. I was shocked that the manager was not there in seconds with profuse apologies. After several minutes the waiter returned to explain it was a small plastic Jesus doll and is part of the Three Kings Day tradition of the Latino staff to put this in the bread; apparently an error had occurred and one made it to the bread served with this woman's salad! I was still in shock that it took several more minutes for a headwaiter (the manager never did come) to apologize and finally after much coaxing offer the $10 salad for free. None of these women had even purchased the $20 prix fixe brunch dishes which comes with a drink (which is, by the way, a great deal here).

On my way out (I must mention I had to beg thrice to get my charge card run through so I could make my play on time!), the hostess (was she the manager?) asked how everything was, and I said, "fine, except for the failure at the next table." She told me thrice that it had been taken care of, even though after speaking with these nice women, I could not help feel they had not been treated properly. I hope the doll brings them better luck in the New Year.

A final note about the wonderful soups and sandwiches I have been munching on at NYC's chain HALE & HEARTY Soups (www.haleandhearty.com) which are located throughout the city and offer up some wonderful soups. Friday I had SENEGALESE CHICKEN SOUP which was a rich spicy thick tomato-based soup loaded with chicken and sprinkled with crushed peanuts. They have great salad/soup or sandwich/soup combos as well!