Saturday, October 20, 2007

stil going to GUANTANAMERA in NYCity

I was happy to find a new theater district place at Gelsi on Friday, but yesterday and today I am returning to old favorites. Last night it was GUANTANAMERA (which will open a new sister restaurant soon in Spanish Harlem on the very upper east side) and I was as pleased as I always am.

Located in a narrow spot on the west side of 8th Avenue between 55th and 56th Streets, you could easily miss this spot, but once inside, you know you are in a Cuban dining spot, as the lights are low, the music is beating and everyone is having a good time. On a Saturday this starts with lunch, continues throw post-matinee and pre-evening theater and goes way into the night once the live band starts later in the evening!

My friend and I enjoyed a yummy pitcher of the RED SANGRIA while he had a bowl of CHICKEN SOUP laden with chunks of chicken, vegetables and AVOCADO. My ENSALATA la PALMA REAL is still a treat with field greens, piles of avocado and artichoke hearts and shaved parmesan. At $9.00 it is one of the best salad deals in NY City.

For entrees we had the VEGETARIAN PAELLA which was another huge dish laden with all kinds of fresh sauteed veggies and my ROPA VIEJA (the first time having it here) was beautifully served in a small basket made from crisp plantains, but filled to overflowing (there had to be almost a 1/2 pound of hangar steak), shredded and sauteed with great seasonings and not overdone at all. The rice was perfect and I smothered it with the bowl of BLACK BEANS that comes on the side of most dishes here, I often order the great steak with chimichurri sauce and now I find that both of these beef dishes (though so dissimilar) are great treats!

The cappunccino was great and we could not eat a bite more before I headed to see a wonderful revival of the comedy The Ritz with a super cast nearby!