Friday, October 19, 2007

between Hells' Kitchen & Chelsea there's OSTERIA GELSI

Last night before I took in the new Broadway musical Young Frankenstein, I wandered several blocks south and west of the theater district to OSTERIA GELSI at 507 9th Ave (at 38th Street; www.GelsiNYC.com) which features the cuisine of the Puglia region. There were many choices on the menu, but I could not resist the specials my server mentioned.

The menu did NOT indicate that 1/2 portions of pasta were available, so I asked--and they were ( a shame they don't advertise this). The wine list also only lists bottles and the 8 or 9 wines that are available by the glass are reeled off by varietal (Pinot Grigio, Chard, etc) so that you have no clue as to their quality and price. Another BIG failure. I ordered a glass of a Sicilian Chardonnay which I believe was called Catarata, but I haven't a clue, and sadly could'nt glean any more information, although it was nice. A tiny amuse of tomato bruschetta came and then I had the PUMPKIN GNOCCHI that were a revelation. Prepared in a butter sauce with a TOMATO Confit, Mushrooms, teensy weensy fried onions and fried sage leaves that were superb, it was a masterful combination and quite filling at the 1.2 size for $10.00.

The TUNA Special followed cooked in a Light Tomato/White Wine Sauce with roasted Whole Garlic Cloves, Capers, Olives, Caperberries and magnificently assembled on top of Roasted Potatoes & Sauteed Green Beans. Sadly, by the time the place was filling up and what had started as two ladies at the bar and had grown to seven ladies at the bar, became a table of seven very loud ladies next to me.

I was too full for dessert, but ordered coffee and got four wonderful hazelnut biscotti with it that was just perfect. They were not hard (I hate them that way), but slightly chewy and so yummy when dipped in the coffee.

I decided the ladies weren't that bad, paid and left quite full, but not overwhelmed too much to hate the show (which was funny and will probably be a big hit!).