Sunday, October 21, 2007

NATSUMI is neat in NYC

I first went to NATSUMI (www.natsuminyc.com) near Times Square at 226 West 50th Street back in the spring right when it opened and was very impressed with the "Italian" infused Asian cuisine. I returned last night with a client and five others and we had a smashingly fabulous time.

While munching the wonderful edamame I tried two different sakes and preferred the house brand BIZEN MABOROSHI Junmai Gingo ($11/glass) which is sooo smooth and elegant, and the floral and less smooth ONIKOROSHI WAKATAKE was nice as well but not as satiusfying for my palate.

As the guests arrived I ordered a BUTTERFLY GREEN TEA RAVIOLI Appetizer which was stuffed wtih LOBSTER & SHITAKE in a Lobster Biqsue Sauce. It was yummy, but not easy to get into the chopsticks! I also tasted the excellent FRIED CALAMARI that was accompanied by a super light dipping sauce (soy based with spice). The dumplings came in so many forms I know not what I had, but they were all superb. A house NATSUMI Veronese White from Fruili was a refreshing choce of wine for these dishes as well.

The entrees were very varied around the table and I thought the least exciting was the Seafood Tempura Platter as the sauce was not that great. BUT, my NATSUMI ROLL was spectacular. Made from TUNA, Spicy Tuna, Avocado, Green APPLE for a bite, BASIL and topped with Gold Leaf for beauty. The server suggested I use the soy sauce combined with the house aged BALSAMIC rather than soy alone or with wasabi. It was brilliant. Everything at the table got raves from our group as I departed for the airport, alas with no dessert, but remembering the FRIED CHEESECAKE I had earlier this year and knowing I will be back soon!