Friday, September 01, 2023

You gotta go to NAMA KO (in DC)--Restaurant week #2(8-30-23)

 In my search for a second choice during DC's now-running Restaurant Week, I wanted something Asian and lighter and new that had been getting rave reviews, so I chose NAMA KO (www.nama-ko.com) on 14th Street(just of U St NW). 

Imagine to my surprise when I walked in the door and saw my old buddy Aziz at the front. I first met Aziz over 35 years ago when I lived at Dupont Circle and was a regular at Enzo's, a superb Italian restaurant just off the Circle! He is now the General manager at Nama Ko and I am truly thrilled that he is doing so well, and this place is run superbly to boot!
The space is quite large with a long bar on the right and a sushi bar with a dark brick wall behind that you can sit at on the left, an open kitchen is at the rear and of course the 14th Street side is all floor to ceiling windows. The music was unassuming but did seem to get louder as the evening progressed, or maybe the place got so full that it was the din of the crowd. Indeed, by 730pm there were virtually no empty tables. The chairs are super comfy here and you do not feel any rush to depart, so I enjoyed my evening at length and told my server Jenna that I really wanted to dine leisurely, which she adhered to spot on.
I ordered a "What's In a Name?" which is serrano-infused Espalon Tequila with Ancho Reyes(a superb spicy Mexican liqueur), honey, pineapple and a Togarashi(Japanses chili) rim. It was a kickass spicy drink with a slightly sour flavor, and I fell in love. There was a regular menu(I can't wait to return to try that as well as the huge sushi selection!!) as well as a Restaurant Week 4-course option for $55 which I could not resist, so I perused and debated and consulted with Jenna and finally made my decisions. There was a flight of sake as well for $25, but when I saw the gentleman at the next table order it, I realized the three choices might not be the types of sake I tend to like as he said one was dry, one slightly sweet and one cloudy one very indistinct.
My first course was the Crispy Shrimp Tempura (which does have a $5 surcharge on the $55 set menu) which was out of this world with a Yuzu Chili Sauce. I was about to order a bottle of sake when a complimentary glass of Soto Junmai was brought over by Aziz; I was in heaven. After that I did order a small bottle of sake, but the Soto was only available in a much larger one that was way too big for one person. My choice was the Hakutsuru Sho-Une Junmai Daiginjo which is a style I always like and came highly recommended by Jenna; I loved it.
My next course was the Lemongrass Chicken Dumplings which Jenna recommended as well and came with a Yuzu Ponzu and scallion relish(always photos on FB) that I loved. Relish can be a funny item, and on a dumpling, I was not sure it would work, but these four large dumplings were so enhanced and so wonderful.  
The main course was a Smoked Pork Belly which at first, I shied away from as perhaps too fatty. Jenna told me it was awesome, and she was spot on as it was crispy with virtually NO fat and served with slow cooked Japanese rice topped with an Onsen egg all covered with this fabulous chili crunch that was basically small chilis battered and deep fried! WOW!! The sake was the perfect pairing as the dish was indeed rich but so tasty and loaded with flavor.
Who thinks of dessert at a Japanese restaurant, but here it is a must as they have Nama-Ko Soft Serve Ice Cream, and I chose the Honey Miso Black Truffle with Dark Chocolate & Caramel Sauces topped with Chocolate Toffee Crunch! Need I say more??
I felt like I was at home all evening as the staff were helpful and Aziz was as kind and wonderful as ever and I was so glad to bump into him after not seeing him for several years! That won't happen again as long as he is at Nama Ko, as I will be back there very soon for sure!!

--