Saturday, September 02, 2023

Restaurant Week take #3 took me to a disappointing DAIKAYA (9/1/23)

 We all know that some restaurant week menus can be pretty sad and while I specifically chose IZAKAYA at DAIKAYA as it had been way too long since we last dined there, I was pretty excited about the fun menu based on a cute Japanses story (which I did not really understand).  The 5 course $40 menu had a choice for each course, and I spoke at length with my server Katherine, and we decided on each choice and then I chose a Hoyo Shining Prince" Tokubetsu Junmai Sake which she recommended which was polished, smooth and wonderful.

My first course arrived, and KAKI FRy was two plump oysters breaded and fried with a superb veggie-egg remoulade and shredded cabbage, but when I popped one into my mouth, I practically burned the entire inside of my mouth as it was beyond piping hot. I waited a while before I enjoyed the second one and purposefully bit it in half so it could cool a tad. This is one problem when using chopsticks, I suddenly realized.
The second course was a choice between eggplant and sweet potato, so I chose the latter which was a Japanese "baby" yam baked ever so simply with butter. It was so simple it had no seasoning, and the potato was huge. I also needed a knife and fork as I do not think anyone can eat an entire 1/2 pound potato with chopsticks? The potato was yummy, but very boring.
My next course was Udon with Abura-age, scallion and Kombu dashi that really was soy intense as far as the broth was concerned. It was a simple dish as well and seemed a tad chintzy and cheap, although I must admit it was filling.
The main course was much better flavored and also very filling. CREAM STEW was made with bacon, butter, onion, mushroom, carrots, napa cabbage, broccoli, milk, chicken stock, tofu and a crouton. By now I had moved to a Mantensei "Star filled Sky" Junmai Ginjo sake that was also quite tasty and paired very well with this creamy dish.
It was odd that at each course serving I had to ask for a soup spoon or stew spoon or utensil.
I asked Katherine for a short break before dessert and after 15 minutes I asked her to bring the strawberry dish I had ordered. The room was getting very noisy, and the a/c was cranked up so high I was beginning to freeze. After 30 minutes I said I really needed my dessert and then about 10minutes later I asked for the check which arrived as my dessert did; I sent it back and left. Katherine apologized profusely and had no clue what had happened with the simple dessert. 
I have to say that what used to be a finer dining spot has become a bar scene as the bar was jammed and extremely noisy, and I did not see people there really enjoying food, but simply drinking and socializing. My food was okay but would have been a total loss if this were not Restuarant Week, but that should not be an excuse, given the two fab meals I had earlier in the week. It was indeed a big disappointment.