Thursday, May 01, 2008

ZULA not a zero, maye a three (out of ten) Houston, TX

Here in Houston there are numerous downtown dining options, thought the haute cuisine tends to not be in the immediate area. Yesterday I chose ZULA (www.zulahouston.com) which bills itself as "new American cuisine" but is sadly looking more to the club/bar/disco crowd these days I fear.

The place is quite wild with a beautiful bar area in the front opening into a tall almost three story dining area in the rear bordered by giant two storey modern scones than undulate in colored lights from within. The tables are all huge, well-spaced and have comfy high back leather chairs. The staff was friendly and helpful, and if you are looking for a "Playboy Club" feel the female bartenders are dressed in skimpy tight bustier lingerie type outfits with garters and fishnets--enough said..Oh, the wine "room" area at the ed of the dining area is glassed in and is where these girls apparently dance "a la birdcage" on weekends!!

I enjoyed the DELLE VENEZIE Pinot Grigio 206 that was offered by the glass, but I had no wine list by the glass and did not know the prices or my options, which I hated. The server said there was house wine, but never got specific; however, he did let me taste before filling the glass.

Warm yummy onion bread (akin to focaccia) came with my appetizer of BOULEVARD SASHIMI which was four thinly wrapped in rice paper pieces of ever so slightly seared tuna filled with greens as well over RED CHILI SAUCE and Flying Fish Roe. One small piece of the tuna was tough, but otherwise it was a nice large serving and spicy and tasty. I wanted light fish so I chose the RIVER TROUT with LUMP CARB and Garden Veggies (Zucchini/Carrot/red peppers) in Brown Sauce which was a huge tasty piece of trout, but a fairly boring dish.

Dessert sounded good, so I opted for a cappuccino and that was a small cup with almost no froth.

Despite everyone's attempts to make me happy, the meal was unmemorable, and I think the club will survive, not the food.