Sunday, May 04, 2008

Dragonfish happy hours and CAFE CAMPAGNE conquers at brunch (Seattle)

If you are in downtown Seattle and have a munchy yen at midnight, there is always a place to get a bite. Last night after the opera, my body said "eat" not quite sure what time zone I was in, so I stopped by DRAGONFISH CAFE (www.dragonfishcafe.com) across from my hotel and enjoyed a simple snack at an UNREAL PRICE.

Dragonfish has HAPPY HOURS daily from 4-6pm and again from 10pm-1AM as well as on Monday from 3pm to closing nonstop. The Happy Hours feature $1.95 half sushi roll orders (of 4 pieces each), $2.95 appetizers and drinks, and while it might be a bit funky and noisy, it's a great place to nosh.

The BOSSA NOVA Sushi has ahi tuna, kaiware sprouts and is wrapped with Nova Salmon for a slightly salty fishy taste to boot. I had the MONOKANE Silver (driest) sake served in a large shot glass overflowing into a sake box, a square lacquer box that ultimately gives you a glass and a half if you down the overflow! I switched to the 2nd driest, Diamond and ordered the PIKE PLACE Sushi, also ahi tuni with the same crunchy sprouts but a hint of mango and a dose of ground CASHEW for flavor on the outside.

I was very happy with my choice, and while I won't rave about the food, it was just what I needed.

This morning I woke up, worked out and headed toward the Pike Place Market as it was a sunny day crisp and cool (63degrees) and I was hungry! One can't enter the Pike Place Market without tasting, buying and being amazed; if you haven't been to Seattle, you won't have clue, but hopefully many of you understand.

You will recall my raves yesterday for VEIL and Johnny Zhu, the chef there hails from Campagne, one of Seattle's well known dining spots. Underneath Campagne, is CAFE de CAMPAGNE (www.cafecampagne.com) just next to the Pike Place Market. When I googled up the Cafe the other day, I kept getting rave remarks for one dish...so I headed there and ordered the OEUFS en MEURETTE. Most of you know, I don't care for brunch or big breakfasts, but I'm travelling on EDT and am so confused this trip, I figured at 11am, I could eat TWO poached EGGS on GARLIC CROUTONS with Pearl Onions, BACON, Mushrooms all engulfed in a RED WINE FOIE GRAS Sauce with POMMES FRITES with AIOLI. DO I HAVE TO ELABORATE? This was the BEST BRUNCH, breakfast or lunch dish I CAN EVER RECALL! Skip that aioli and dip those frites in the foie gras sauce!!! OK, I was good and skipped the wine drinking only coffee, so I could stay up for the opera matinee. I missed Seattle and need to come back again real soon!