Friday, March 07, 2008

make your way to OUEST on New York's Upper West Side

Ever since it opened some 6+ years ago, I had heard raves about Ouest 2315 Broadway at West 84th Street), but it was always a bit too far north to head to before the theater. Yesterday, I had plenty of time before my 8pm curtain at the opera, so I booked a table for 5pm (an easy time to get in, since the place was more than jammed when I left at 720pm) and was glad I ventured three subway stops north of Lincoln Center (it actually took me less than 12 minutes to get down to the Met after dinner!).

The small narrow entryway is misleading with its cute neighborhood bar and small curved booths, but I was led past this, down several steps into a rear room which opens up beautifully with more curved booths, tables and even a mezzanine balcony on either side all overlooking a small open kitchen. My rear corner table was larger than most of the 2-tops and was a great place to see everything. As I waited for my guest (opera diva) I spoke with Richard, the knowledgeable sommelier about a ZWEIGELT on the wine list. He said there were no "wimpy" wines on the menu (which a Zweigelt can sometimes be), so I went for the HG Katharina & Heimut GANGL 2003 from Luss in Austria. IT was a revelation, full of body, lots of fruit, especially plum, all very reminiscent of a big Pinot Noir. Even moreso, it went superbly with everything we ordered for the both of us!

Skinny warm mini-baguettes arrived, making me feel like in France (they were so wonderfully crispy on the outside and fresh inside) with a small ramekin of yummy hummus; we dipped away.

It was hard to decide, but our wonderful server Deborah led us to great selections (she insisted there was nothing bad on the menu; I think she was right). My guest had the ENDIVE & ROQUEFORT Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette which was a hugely piled high plate (she took home half of it!) of tasty and not bitter at all endive. My HOUSE SMOKED STURGEON came wrapped around a huge POACHED EGG, LARDONS sprinkled around, and topped with FRISEE to form a small wide tower. The fish was some of the best I have ever had, and the entire dish was simply perfect.ion.

My PAN ROASTED SQUAB with DUCK LIVER RISOTTO, Crisp ARTICHOKES and Parmesan was no less impressive with a splash of huckle(?)berry sauce on the side for taste. The artichokes were flash fried and crunchy for texture and the squab cooked just to medium rare (closer to rare as I adore) so that it was not chewy but moist and tasty.

The BACON WRAPPED PORK TENDERLOIN and SPARE RIBS were gorgeous with a fabulous barbecue-like sauce that stuck to the ribs, served with Sauteed ESCAROLE and CORN CAKES, another great achievement for the busy team in the kitchen.

We were full and could not brave dessert, but knowing that 10-15 minutes away is Lincoln Center, made me braver to venture north to places like Ouest before the opera!