Friday, December 14, 2007

NY's VONG is very much worth the visit

Friday night I headed over to the East Side for an early dinner at VONG (200 E 54th St at 3rd Ave) the Asian home of the world famous Jean-Georges V. which has managed to ear itself one Michelin star in the newest incarnation the NY Michelin Red Guide. We have indeed avoided Jean-George's establishments as years ago we had an awful runin with the staff at his #1 Manhattan spot and vowed not to return.

I am glad I gave VONG a chance as the staff was beyond superb, indeed PERFECT. The food was pretty good as well.

The wooden floors, bright red chairs and cozy banquettes are splattered with tons of Asian influenced art and hangings along with fans on vertical poles that are the same as ceiling fans, but on the floor. The tables are dark slate and have small blond woven mats with legant stainless and chopsticks. A wet towel (not hot) is brought as soon as you are seated; thick crispy sesame rice crackers follow with an irresistible crunchy spicy peanut sauce.

The menu is not too big and I was very happy for the selection of five appetizers (which rings in at $24 per person!!, but is REALLY worth it):
CRAB SPRING ROLL is crunchy and filled with excellent ingredients and served with a yummy tamarind dipping sauce.
PRAWN SATAY belies its name as these are yummy medium size shrimp on a skewer yet breaded unlike the traditional satay and then served a spicy red chili dipping sauce.
RAW TUNA ROLL is wrapped with Avocado & Vegetable in a Rice Paper and served with the traditional Asian fish (nampla) sauce.
LOBSTER & DAIKON ROLL is another yummy treat with a light ROSEMARY GINGER DIP
The CRUNCHY CRESS Salad is topped with a large portion of SPICED QUAIL.

It was hard to pick a favorite as they were all super tasty and I am glad I did not pick just one appetizer, as this was perfect. A glass of DOMAINE TRIENNES Saint Fleur 2006 Viognier from Nans-les-Pins was perfect with all the sauces and spices, although a Pinot Blanc or Riesling would work equally well.

I switched to red and a tasty 2005 BARREL 27 SYRAH from the California Central Coast. I never needed to ask for anything and the entire very handsome staff was simply excellent.

For an entree I chose the RABBIT CURRY with Giant BRAISED CARROT and GALANGAL (Ginger) that was recommended by my server; he suggested well. It was three huge pieces of rabbit in a medium weight curry with Jasmine Rice on the side. The loin was prepared breaded on a skewer like the prawn satay appetizer. The meat was a but dry on the loin, but once dipped in the curry was perfect. I loved it all.

Dessert was less successful as I ordered a CINNAMON ROASTED PEAR with SABLEUSE CAKE which came with Licorice Ice Cream (for which I substituted vanilla). The pear was superb, the sableuse was simply a dry pound cake and I barely touched the ice cream as I was so full. A wonderful mint ice cream bonbon wrapped in chocolate came after this and made me happier.

For Asian food, the prices are high, but the quality and service truly make this worth the expense once every now and then.