Saturday, December 01, 2007

Chicago cuisine-SHAW's super seafood and late night at QUARTINO

Lunch was late and at SHAW's OYSTER BAY which has been around since forever. I was in an OYSTER MOOD and went for the selection of six with a glass of SALNEVAL ALBARINO from Rias Baixas 2006 Spain which was crisp and fruity and fine for oysters even though it was not on the "Oyster Friendly wine selection list!"

FISHERS ISLAND came from Block Island Sound, NY
JUDD COVE from Orcas Island, Washington is a deep shelled plump rich oyster and is now on my list of faves
COTUIT from the same named bay in Mass
MILL POINT from PrinceEdward Island
QUILCENE from Quilcene Bay in Washington is always a treat
and the DEEP BAY FLAT is a huge shell with plump briny oyster from Deep Bay, BC that is also a new treat

My fish choice was the PARMESAN CRUSTED GEORGE'S BANK HADDOCK with Sauteed Spinach Capers & Lemon Butter which was a very nice dish, well prepared and tasty, but doesn't come close to the preparation and flavor in Bob Kinkead's crusted creations. The SAUTEED FLORIDA RED GROUP with Pumpkin Seed Crust was a bit more interesting, and I never met a grouper I didn't like.

My second wine was a tasty almost oak free McWILLIAMS SE Australia 2005 Chardonnay. It was a yummy meal and then time for a nap before the opera.

The opera ended after 11pm and sadly my steak place in the hotel was closed when I got back, so I headed around the corner to QUARTINO (www.quartinochicago.com) where the wines are poured by the 1/4 (hence the name), 1/2 or full liter with many wonderful selections. I opted for the 1/4 of house VALPOLICELLA, a wonderful wine with the RAVIOLI stuffed with pork in MUSHROOM SAUCE and crunchy SPECK. My appetizer arrived after the ravioli (that was weird) but it was fine as I had ordered a $2 VEAL MEATBALL SLIDER which is a small mini-Italian roll with one yummy veal meatball on it (think three-four bite Italian meatball sub!). On the side was a spicy pickled giardiniere of fennel, peppers, cauliflower and other veggies.

Still hungry I moved to the cheese and meat selections which one can make a meal of as well. I chose the LONZINO (each selection is $4 and is about 2 ounces) which is an air dried pork loin that would have benefited from better cutting rather than coming out as shredded as it did. On the side is more giardiniere, a small sweet & sour cucumber salad and a yummy candied fried mostarda for the meat.

I also chose the small dish of PECORINO TOSCANO (also $4 and 5 huge chunks) which is a tasty nutty one and is served with fruit bread and 3 sides as well: Grape salad, fennel salad (which I didn't like--surprise) and a yummy apricot rosemary puree which worked well with the cheese.

I gathered up my final two chunks of cheese which I am munching as I write this and head to bed....

Good night Chicago.