Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Arlington's MUSSEL BAR makes magnificent deals and meals (9-2-24)

 I have been on the email list for the Marcel's restaurant group for ages and while we have dined at many of the places, I had not tried MUSSEL BAR & GRILLE in Arlington, Virginia's kin to the now departed Beck's in DC.

I got an email recently about their Labor Day deals and could not resist booking with the $32 all you can eat mussels special, not to mention the $1 frites add-on and $5/glass wines!! 
I loved the decor with the really cool lighting fixtures made out of empty wine bottles as well as hanging nautical ship ropes with light bulbs. On arrival the guy could not find my reservation, so he called over someone else and when he said I could sit anywhere (the place was quite empty) I said between the large circular bar and the open kitchen at a table was great. He then said the happy hour specials are no good, so I moved to a booth a few feet away nearer the bar which was valid for all the deals! I ordered a glass of happy hour Sangria which was delish and then asked which oysters were served for $2- on the happy hour menu and which wines were on the $5 deal. He said he would check and about 20 minutes later the manager, Autumn, came over to apologize; there was apparently a language issue. She took my order for a 1/2 dozen oysters, and they arrived with the Thai Chili Mussels in a huge cast iron pan right behind. The fries arrived and were sweet potato (not the regular potato) that I asked for, but they were so good and the three aiolis that come with them are super (the plain mayo was okay, but the two spicier ones were great!).  The oysters were yummy, and I loved the shallot mignonette, while the Thai Curry Mussels come with peanuts which I can't ever recall before and I loved them. The mussels were plump and the sauce thick enough to mop up with the French bread! 
I had a glass of the house Sauvignon Blanc first ($5!) and then a yummy Pinot Noir. I talked with Autumn about the wine, and she was quite nice as I rested in preparation for round two. I chose the smaller portion of Mussels with Bacon & Mushrooms which were also fabulous. I loved the large pieces of tasty pasty bacon and tried to avoid the fattier lardon chunks of which there were only a few; the mushrooms were super and again the oysters plump, while the sauce was super-moppable!
I was full and the price was right for sure. There are lots of deals and happy hour specials throughout the week here and not just on Labor Day, so if you like mussels, check out the deals at Mussel Bar & Grille, not to mention all the other yummy things on the menu I will have to try next time!