Thursday, July 01, 2021

CHLOE conquers in SE DC with Taste Washington, James Beard Foundation dinner(6/29/21)

I hauled myself down to SE DC on a baseball game night(in the end there was no traffic and the Uber took 24 minutes!) as there was no was I was missing Chef Haidar Karoum's benefit for the James Beard Foundation, part of a national series of dinners.
The meal was brilliantly prepared, spaced, served and every bite was a dream. I had my own table and even got a goodie bag of wonderful treats to eat and use later. My server Erin was superb and always made me happy with wine refills, a chat here and there and excellent service.
We started with a drink created by Burke Podany of Chloe called ALTITUDE made with Rabbit Hole(they were sponsors) Bespoke Gin, Lillet Blanc, Oolong, Lemon Twist & Chocolate Bitters. I am not a gin or tea fan, but the hint of chocolate made this drink so great and NOT sweet at all. A tray arrived with Grilled Housemade bread and a huge chunk of Kerrygold Butter that was herbed in house as well a a superb Kerrygold Cashel Blue Cheese from Ireland. I was in heaven.
The "appetizer" course was as big as any main course and easily one of the best fish courses I have had in ages: Roasted Papadam-Crusted Australis(Australian) Barramundi with Chickpeas, Fenugreek & Coconut was flaky and rich with a curry-like sauce under it and the crunchiest of crusts and fabulous seasonings. I had not had barramundi in a long time and it is truly a superb fish we often miss out on!! The wine was an okay DOUGH North Coast 2019 Chardonnay that was so lemony-citrusy, I would have sworn it was a Sauvignon Blanc. It paired well, but I wouldn't buy it. The main course wine was also a Dough(they were sponsors) Oregon Pinot Noir 2019 and even the label did not say from where in Oregon! No matter as the Spice-Roasted Rohan(Hudson valley) Duck with Sunchoke(puree), Poached Cherries, hazelnut & Charred Scallion was another dream dish.
With the food the Pinot Noir seemed to gain  some spice momentum, so it was not a total loss. 
Chloe is a cozy indoor space with very comfy tables on one side of an open kitchen(with a plant rack made of wood separating the room from the kitchen) and a huge bar area in the front. There is tons of outdoor dining space and many of the event patrons were outside despite the 90+ degree temps! 
Dessert was another amazing invention with a gorgeous Summer Fruit(strawberry,blackberry,blueberry) Tart with meyer Lemon Curd & Cardamom-Labneh Cream. Everyone who saw the FB photos was in awe!
The dessert came with a flight of Rabbit Hole Whiskeys and they were all very different:
I liked the Cavehill Kentucky Striaght Bourbon a tad, but did not like the Heigold Kentucky Straight Bourbon or Boxergrail Kentucky Straight Rye at all--makes sense as I have never beena  bourbon or rye guy. The best was the smoky peaty Dearringer Straight Bourbon(finished in PX sherry casks) so maybe it was the cask?
This meal was a wining one and I would be back in Chloe in a sec(well, as soon as the baseball season ends!)!!

--