Friday, May 24, 2019

Art Works Now Chef's Dinner 2019 does it all with Carla Hall and more...(5-23-19)

For several years now I have attended the wonderful annual Art Works Now Chef's Dinner held at the home of Art Works Now founder Barbara Johnson and her wife Chef Ruth Gresser (owner of Pizza Paradiso), and I can easily say it is one of the best foodie events I look forward to every year. For the second time, Will joined me and I am quite sure he will agree! On arrival at their gorgeous home(right after the huge deluge and tornado watch) we were served Miguel Pons Cava Brut and then we gathered poolside as Sue McWilliams of Sue McWilliams Cooks mixed up some tasty drinks. I decided to try the  "Merry Month of May Shrub Mocktail" of lemongrass, black current and sparkling grape juice which was yummy and not sweet at all, but even better when I mixed in the Cava!! Her other drink was a Chesapeake Rumrunner Cocktail of Barbados Rum, Dry Curacao, Fresh fruit juices and Falernum which I loved and went so well with the Harissa Spiced Nuts on the table with the drinks. Speaking of these nuts, all the hor's d'oevres were prepared jointly by uber TV star Chef Carla Hall with Chef Janis McLean of Seasons Culinary Services. All of the four passed hor's d'oevres were irresistible and I had way too many. Shortcut Deviled Eggs were delish as Chef Carla explained how to save time in making these by NOT scooping out the yolks! Mini Open-faced Tomato Sandwiches on Johnnycakes were fresh local heirloom cherry tomatoes sliced on a yummy johnnycake while the Pickled Shrimp with Persian Cucumbers were served in Endive leaves and had such flavor I must have eaten closed to a dozen. My other favorite was the Bourbon Glazed Pork tenderloin on Buttermilk Biscuits with Rhubarb Chutney & Dijon Mustard Butter!!

We headed inside to the huge kitchen where dozens and dozens were seated for a dinner that was top notch in every bite and sip. While Chef Amy brandwien of Centrolina & Piccolina had a last minute conflict, she sent her able second-in-command(excuse me for not writing down her name) to prepare a superb dish of Virginia Grape Leaves of Quail, Blistered and Pickled Grapes, Frisee and Moscato Vinegar. I am a huge quail fan and this was delightful with a light Domaine Ancely Vin Rose du Pays d'Oc 2017 (oddly the bottle label had "Que j'aime ta couleur" in huge print on it!). Chef Fiona Lewis of the District Fishwife excelled with a crispy skinned Pan Seared Verlasso Salmon with Grilled Asparagus and Arugula Orange Salad. A hint of white balsamic made it a true dream! The Bourgogne Blanc 2014 from Domaine Desertaux-Ferrand was the perfect foil.

I love the spice and food at Doi Moi and had not met Chef Johanna Hellrigl(when I first looked at her name on the menu I thought it said HellGirl!) who took over there over a year ago. Well she went back to her Northern Italian roots here and skipped the strong spices with a Speck wrapped Lamb Roulade with Garlic Scape, Pecorino & Spring Mushroom Stuffing served with English pea Puree and Charred Candy Onions. I loved every bite and flavor of this dish which had bursts of all flavors in every different bite. The Domaine la Ligiere Vaqueyras Rouge 2001 was in amazing drinking form(Vacqueyras needs time and 8 years was ideal for this one) and I continued having it with dessert as the dessert was paired with a beer.
I tasted the Right Proper Baron Corvo beer and immediately went back to the wine, although everyone else loved the beer with the amazing Valrhona Strawberry Chocolate Coated Rhubarb and Vanilla Bavarois with Lemon Sable and Compressed Strawberries. I know that beer is a problem for my taste buds and have come to accept that. Chef Michelle Poteaux of Bastille assembled the most delicious and amazing dessert down to the divine strawberries ending an evening that raised over $80,000 and was a complete success in every single way! Can't wait until next year!