Wednesday, March 23, 2016

ABSOLUTE NOODLE in DC's Chinatown may be absolutely the best ramen around (3-22-16)

If you are near Chinatown or the Penn Quarter and love noodles and want a supreme deal head to ABSOLUTE NOODLES (www.aboslutenoodles.com) at 772 5th St, NW.
This tiny place with a bar, open kitchen, several tables, a take-out station is nothing fancy for sure. The tables, floors and chairs of wood don't make it very comfortable either, and the fact that only 3 tables were occupied scared me.
The menu is large, varied Asian, mostly noodles and literally DIRT CHEAP. This is the spot to head for ramen and a deal in DC.
I started with the LARB GAI, a traditional Thai dish with minced chicken, herb-infused rice powder, cilantro, scallion, red onion, mint & basil leaves and julienne carrots all marinating in a seviche-like Thai LIme Dressing over Romain lettuce leaves used to wrap the tasty meat and eat a la lettuce-wrap. It was spicy, satisfying ans superb. The portion was huge for a starter and now I was worried as I had ordered the Ramen Special and saw the huge bowls coming out all over the place. I also ordered a glass of Starborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, a budget brand for sure, but it was super with all the spice in both my dishes.
My main ramen was the KIMCHEE RAMEN which was a gorgeous bowl (see FB foto) of Beef, Kale, Bean Sprouts, Ear Mushrooms, Poached Egg, Noodles and Kimchi on top which melted into the dish making is a bit less spicy with each spoonful as I mixed and munched. I could not believe the quality of this budget dish...and while I had a show in 1 hour after my arrival, I had eaten in exactly that time and leisurely as well....for under $30 for both courses and the wine without tax and tip!!!!!!!!!
ABSOLUTELY amazing.