Friday, May 10, 2013

I have fallen into GRACE and am lovin' it in Ft Worth, TX (5-9-13)

I returned to Ft. Worth for a long weekend of opera, and one can't
come to Texas without thinking of food.
Last night, the director of the opera company suggested GRACE
(www.gracefortworth.com) which I have walked by many times over the
last four years since it opened, but have never stepped inside. Well,
I'll head back to GRACE again for sure as the food is truly
spectacular, and the quiet elegant dining room truly a place to relazx
and enjoy.
I was thinking of the Grace Margarita, but then spotted the EL DIABLO
on the drink menu. I was expecting a spicier cocktail made from Sombra
Mezcal, Saint Germain Deviation, Lemon Fresca, Agave and topped with a
Habanero Pepper, which I quickly removed. It had a slight sweetness,
but not too much and the drinks here that are on the rocks, are
actually on the rock, as they come with one huge 2 inch square ice
cube. It apparently does not melt as fast.

I have been dieting for over a month and tried to be good last night
and started with the CRUDO of ALBACORE TUNA with spring vegetable
piperade, garlic aioli and Meyer lemon that was a large portion of
tasty tuna in a terrific tasty "sauce of veggies" that did not
overpower the excellent sushi-grade fish. Many of us at the table had
this superb dish.
A glass of Lange Twins Viognier from Clarksburg, California was an
interesting tasting Viognier that had a slight Sauvignon Blanc flavor.
I thought it was much better with the tuna than alone.

For my main course I tried the Meyer Ranch All Natural 8 ounce BEEF
FILET and it was superb with a slightly salted crust and came just as
I liked, a bit rare in the center. There are many toppings and sauce
options here that could destroy a fab piece of beef like this, so I
asked our server what he thought of the COGNAC PEPPERCORN MARROW, and
this superb, if rich sauce, married the steak perfectly, much better
than any rich BĂ©arnaise or other sauce would. A gorgeous head of
roasted Garlic was on the dish as well and I used this to spice up my
side of BABY SPINACH with Cured Meat, which was also excellent and a
nice change from that rich Creamed Spinach so many steakhouses offer.
An AL PASSO 2008 Sangiovese from TOLAINI was superb with the meats as
well as with the Berkshire Baby Back Ribs with Cilantro, Sesame &
Garlic.
A superb start to a wonderful weekend of opera, food and friends....