Saturday, May 15, 2010

doin' the pre-theater at DC's DISH (5-14-10)

I don't often eat out at home before the theater, but last night an
short dinner was in order prior to attending the NSO at the Kennedy
Center. As I don't like to start venturing too far, there are not a
lot of choices within 2-3 blocks, so I decided to return to DISH at
the River Inn (www.theriverinn.com/dish/) where I have not been for
quite some time.
We were rewarded with a friendly greeting from manager Keith,
excellent and efficient service from our server Pascale (as well as
recommendations) and a superb meal.
The salads were superb with a MIXED GREENS having small goat cheese
balls inside a kind of crouton and my amazing BEET SALAD coming like a
cylindrical tower with Feta, Arugula, Grapefruit and a Citrus
Dressing. A glass of TORRONTES, Crios de Susana Balbo 2008 Argentina
is always refreshing and paired wonderfully with the citrus of the
salad while my host had the Shiraz/Grenache from Ken Forrester 2005
Stellenbosch, South Africa with her salad. I moved on to a tasty and
full fruit POPPY Pinot Noir from Napa with my perfectly just past PAN
SEARED AHI TUNA with Mixed Greens Salad, Tomato, Basil & Olive Salad.
My host had the winner of the day in the HERB CRUSTED New Zealand Lamb
chops (six chops!!) with Spiced Tomato Marmalade, a brilliant sauce
and such a change from awful mint! The cylinder of Sweet Potato &
Andouille Sausage packed a bit of spice and was one of the best sides
around! A glass of KUEKA LAKE 2007 Cabernet Franc from the Finger
Lakes in NY was a nice wine, but could not hold up to the spice and
big meat of the dish.
Cappuccinos here are superb and I headed off the symphony knowing that
Dish can do it!