Sunday, April 18, 2010

LA's ASANEBO is a sure bet for sushi & more...(4-18-10)

On my last evening in LA, headed just 15 mins (traffic permitting)
from downtown to Studio City's ASANEBO, a small out-of-the-way not
well known Japanese spot that was jammed by the time we left at 9pm!
Asanebo gets consistently high ratings (11941 Ventura Blvd, Studio
City, CA tel 818-760-3348) for its food from Chef Shige Fujimoto, but
the prices are much lower than the Japanese gastronomic temples that
can cost hundreds per person.
Upon arrival, every guest gets a group shout of something like "hello"
from the staff making everyone feel welcome. I was meeting a high
school friend of mine and her son who live nearby; they got the shout
too!
While waiting I ordered a glass of ASANEBO House Sake (from Fukuoka)
that was super smooth and poured to excess not only to overflow the
glass, but the small plate below. I am not sure where this tradition
comes from, but the Bible says it great with, "my cup runneth over..."
Later I switched to the other Dai-Ginjo sake on the menu by the glass-
MATSU no MIDORI (from Kyoto) that was a bit more tart and actually
went better with the spice in some of my dishes.
My friend's son had the SALMON entree served with mashed potatoes
which are NOT easy to eat with chopsticks! She had the Grilled CHILEAN
SEA BASS with Butter Lettuce.
I started with several small plates:
SEARED TORO with Fried GARLIC and a greens with a Garlic Cream to dip
was a superb sashimi dish of the most gorgeous tuna around.
YELLOWTAIL SASHIMI was served up two ways-one with Sesame Miso Serrano
Peppers and the other with Spicy Yuzu Soy Sauce. Neither was very
spicy, both were tasty and again the finest quality fish around.
My entree was the GRILLED BLACK COD with Miso which was also cooked
perfectly; even the crunchy skin was divine.
While my friends munched on a decent Creme Brulee and a rich Chocolate
Cake (almost molten) with Ice Cream, I ordered one last small plate of
WILD AJI Sashimi (Spanish Mackerel) that is a more intense fishy fish,
yet served with a superb Scallion Soy that tempered the fish to
perfection.
I did not want dessert, so I ordered the Fried Japanese Mountain
Potato with Green Tea Salt which was tasty skin-on fries with a super
tasty not too salty salt that we all gobbled up. I enjoyed a glass of
URAI Sake which finished off this superb and excellent meal from a
superb staff in and out of the kitchen, as well as a real wonderful LA
weekend.