Saturday, July 19, 2008

Superb SPICED PEAR at the classy CHANLER in Newport, RI

On Saturday afternoon while in Newport, I visited the The CHANLER at Cliff Walk to check out this mansion turned hotel and it's a gorgeous gem. I was first impressed by the CNN & ESPN running screens above the urinals in the men's room, which was great since we don't get much news on the ship!

I then relaxed indoors at THE SPICED PEAR, the Chanler's elegant, yet casual dining spot, as it was 90degrees outside and I needed the cool air after my 40 minute walk across town.

I was impressed that the wine list for a hotel offers (although small) 2 ounce pours as well as 5 ounce pours on all glasses, including a Krug Champagne (5 ounce only) for $60.

As I sat there overlooking Easton's beach and the hundreds of bathers below, I was happy to cool off with a taste of PARES BALTA "Ros de Pacs" Organic Rose from Penedes (Spain) at $5.00 (perhaps a bit pricey) which cooled me off fast. With this came BLUE POINT CONNECTICUT local OYSTERS with a Fresh Horseradish Kettel One Vodka Cocktail Sauce that was to die for. I am not a big fan of sauces on raw oysters, so I ate them with just a tad of lemon and then spooned the yummy tangy cocktail sauce into my mouth between bits of the tasty mollusks.

For my entree I chose the MAINE WHOLE LOBSTER ROLL which is exactly that: a round bun (hamburger style) each half containing a half tail and whole claw!! with Applewood Smoked Bacon (crisp and thick), tomato, Bibb lettuce and a Citrus Creme Fraiche. The roll had a layer of light mustard sauce at the bottom under the tomato which added a bit of tang, but was not mentioned in the menu?? This came with a nice small leaf lettuce salad (but I had a choice of that, chips or fries). A glass of THEVENET St. Veran 2006 "Clos de l'Ermitage" Vieilles Vignes was a perfect wine for the lobster, even at $16 a glass (5 ounce).

I skipped desert and hurried to meet Will to visit more mansions in Newport, but sadly not to dine in them!