Tuesday, April 15, 2008

an outing to the overrated(?) OVAL ROOM

Having lived in Washington over 29 years, I can;t believe I have never been to the OVAL ROOM (800 Connecticut Ave, NW www.ovalroom.com) which always seems to get (especially with th tourists) high ratings and is always on the "in" list for spots to be seen.

As you know, I don't care much for seeing or being seen, I just want good food. This week's outing was another private business party, so there was only a choice of two items on each course, but the food came NOWHERE close to that at Marcel's the previous week. It was decent, but unexciting and uninventive as well.

I do have to give credit for the wonderful foie gras mousse hor's d'oevres with kumquat, and the wines were quite good as well: a LAGARAI PINOT GRIGIO and a CANELLI 2006 Sangiovese blend that comes from the wonderful winemakers at Coltibuono.

I started with the SEARED DIVER SCALLOP with Cranberry-Olive and Toast. The scallops were plump, yummy and cooked just right. There was a light and not too flavorful cranberry-olive sauce (I would have loved some more) and the toast oddly consisted of several tiny dry unflavored croutons that I left.

I was in a fish mood and went for the SLOW BAKED COD, CHORIZO OIL, Raw & Cooked Fennel and asked for the Grapefruit to be left off (they said it was just a garnish anyway) due to that cholesterol drug problem. The fish was superb, again perfectly cooked and the oil was nice as well, but again needed something more flavorful. A bland swath of potato puree arced around the fish and the Fennel was the flavor highlight of the meal!

Mixed Seasonal Berries was a sad flat plate with some sliced strawberries, several raspberries and a blackberry.

With a Zagat rating of "21" for food, I am sorry to say that I think there are MANY more higher rated options in DC (and probably lower rated ones that are better as well) for example NEW HIEGHTS is rated "22" and has the same price range. Since we head there tonight, it should be a good comparison!