Sunday, July 23, 2006

ZUNI- a Latin & American find in the NY Theatre district

While I desperately tried to reach NYC on Friday, I was delayed by horrid storms and completely missed dinner and even part of the first act of my Broadway play (the excellent HISTORY BOYS). I had planned on trying a new spot for me in the theatre district called ZUNI (589 9th Ave @43rd St. tel 212-765-7626 www.zuniny.com) and managed to get myself back there today for brunch before another show (the also fun DROWSY CHAPERONE). I am glad I found this spot, which features new AMERICAN cuisine, but I really think its more modern LATIN cuisine. The brunch menu has many American standards, but I opted for the QUESADILLA with CHORIZO, ONION, CHEESE, & EGG. Each plate comes with a drink (I had the peppery BLOODY MARY) and two yummy mini corn muffins (one yellow and one blue) all for $9.95!!! At this price I couldn't resist ordering an appetizer of the CRISP CORN FRITTERS with SPICY CHIPOTLE MAYO.

The unassuming and small restaurant is bright because of the yellow brick walls and many tables and comfy booths with crisp white linen cloths and napkins (alas covered with that piece of white paper-I guess it's good for kids with crayons). There is lots of modernish, but good, original oil artwork on the walls as well. The staff is courteous and cheery and I quietly waited my for food as I sipped my drink.

There were six large golfball size fritters on the plate and they were made of more corn MEAL than pieces of corn but were tasty and crisp.
The chipotle mayo came in a small bowl floating on a large dollop of honey. This idea was novel to me and was really TASTY and FANTASTIC. The spiciness of the chipotle was sweetened by the honey; it reminded me of sopapillas and honey in the Southwest!

The quesadilla was even larger measuring about 8 inches across and cut into six sections each loaded with lots of crumbly chorizo and cheese.
Atop the crispy dough was a 6 inch double fried sunnyside up egg, looking a lot like the happy face from Walmart, but much tastier. It was a cute idea and also, quite tasty..and what a deal for $9.95 (did I SAY THAT?).

I had a couple cups of coffee and went very full on my way refusing dessert, but knowing I have found a new secret spot just 5 blocks from Times Square!